Don’t you always wonder how on earth magazines get their room displays to look so darn PERFECT? It seems as if every time you try to imitate what you see in those gorgeous pictures, it never seems to turn out quite like it does in the magazine – that or it turns out to be an epic fail.
I recently came across an article from House Beautiful magazine about 20 decorating secrets that you can start using right away to get your rooms looking like they came straight from a magazine! I’ll share some of my favorites with you…
1. Pile on the pillows! You know how your bed looks so nicely made when you have a bunch of throw pillows neatly placed against the headboard? Same is true for your sofas! Try using two or three different pairs and place one in front of the other. Make sure you use contrasting colors and patterns – jazz things up a bit!
2. Leave the doors of your armoire open, whether it’s in your dining room, bedroom, or bathroom. I know, this seems a little weird, but if you create a unique display of the items you keep hidden in there, it automatically makes the room much more interesting and welcoming. It even makes your room feel bigger, too!
3. Plants can bring new life to any space -- there is no better way to cheer up a lonely room! Next time, stick a big potted tree in the corner of your room to soften the harsh angle. You’ll be amazed at the difference it makes!
4. Change up the seating in your dining room. Dining room sets can sometimes make the room feel a bit stuffy. Try using long, cushioned benches on the sides of the table instead of two identical chairs next to each other. This will freshen up the seating arrangement, and create a more comfortable atmosphere.
5. Finally, coffee tables are great to have, but they don’t always have to look like your traditional coffee table. Simply stick a tray on top of your ottoman, and you’ve instantly created two pieces of furniture in one!
There you have it! The design secrets that at one time only the professionals knew how to use. Now go -- spruce up those rooms with some of these fresh ideas to get them looking like they came straight from the cover of a magazine!